Saturday 24 August 2013

Steak Dinner (by Biggs)

I've been thinking about having a steak dinner all week and decided Saturday night was the most appropriate night to give it a crack. I'm usually pretty shit at cooking meat but tonight I was committed.

I let the steak come up to room temperature, started it on the fatty edge in a cold pan to render it down while the pan came up to temperature, once it was super hot I fried a crust on each side for equal amounts of time and then popped it in the oven until it felt cooked to medium rare. Nailed it!

I served a side of mashed sweet potato and peas. I love peas but I have no idea why I made sweet potato. It's pretty much my least favourite vegetable.

The steak was finished with a mushroom gravy I made from the drippings left in the fry pan after cooking off the steak and some mushrooms.

Much better than the cup-a-soup I had last Saturday night.

No comments: