Monday 5 August 2013

Pork with Dried Chillies (by G)

I had been cycling around the Bagan area all day getting sunburned so when I realised the Indian restaurant I'd been planning to go to for dinner was just a few paces further than my enthusiasm I pulled off the road to this place - it is a bit of a dive and has the fruity name 'Power Five - Dagon Drag Beer & Restaurant'.

I'd seen this dish listed on a few menus over the previous few days and was intrigued - That could be good I thought.  When it came I was surprised to find that it consisted of chunks of pork, onion, beans, capsicum and cauliflower with a hand full of whole dried chllies (stems and all).

The group of drunk guys at the next table were (I think) anticipating some dramatic gagging as gasping from me.  It was hot, that's for sure, but I had to disappoint them.

'Look, face is turning red!'; 'No, it was like that when he got here - I think it's sunburn'.

This was an okay meal - putting whole dried chillies in a dish is wacky and ill advised.




No comments: