Thursday 29 August 2013

The Accidental Vegetarian (by G)

I arrived in Tanah Rata (Cameron Highlands, Malaysia) in the mid-afternoon, wandered around for a few hours then went looking for somewhere to drink a beer or two.  I got mightily frustrated that there doesn't appear to be any dedicated drinking places. As a second option I wanted a quiet, crappy restaurant with low chairs and shaky tables to drink at - after trying 3 of these places and finding they didn't serve beer I decided just to go to an Indian restaurant that I knew served beer.

I tried to just get beer but they forced a menu on me. Despite it being very early (6pm) I caved and ordered a chicken curry with a large Tiger beer.  The beer came as expected but dinner had surprisingly little chicken - in fact, no chicken.  I didn't have the strength or inclination to get it changed.

The dahl was alright - a bit watery - the cabbage and the cucumber pickle were pretty bland. The beans were really spicy and very good.  Also good were the papadums (even though they appear to have been plated straight from a packet).



No comments: