Wednesday 14 August 2013

Strange Sandwich (by G)

When I booked the overnight bus ticket from Vientiane to Pakse the sign said dinner was included - I was a bit suss. I had an excellent late lunch of Gyoza Ramen set at a Japanese restaurant to hedge my bets.

On the bus I found myself next to a Frenchman who is an English teacher in Pakse and has take this bus about 40 times.

'I think we will get food', he said, 'Sometimes rice, sometimes a steam bun. Last time it was a strange sandwich'.

They handed out foam containers when we got to the Sothern bus station, the frenchman opened his and said, 'Ah, yes... it is the strange sandwhich'. He opened up the sandwich and showed me the filling.

'I think it's cheese,' I said - thinking it looked like a melted plastic cheese slice. 'Not where I come from it isn't,' Said the Frenchman.

When I bit into my sandwich I realised instantly that it was not cheese, it was sweet, like banana but smoother and richer - like some kind of banana caramel - is that a thing? I'm not big on desserts.

A simple description would be that it tasted... strange...


No comments: