Friday 16 August 2013

Fish and Chips (by G)

This was my first night on the island on Don Khong, and when you're in the middle of the Mekong you have fish... right?

The menu described it as 'A nice piece of fish fried in a beer batter'. It was the 'nice piece of fish that clinched it for me'.

I'm pretty sure the fish was crumbed in Panko rather than beer batter, it was good non-the-less. The chips were a bit of a disappointment because I'd had a plate of them earlier in the day and they were, hands down, the best hot chips I've ever had - they were perfectly crunchy on the outside, almost like honeycomb. Not just a crunch when you bite but like a series of mini-cruches... crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch.

Don't get me wrong, the chips with dinner were good, but due to some change in atmospheric conditions, or because it was the dinner rush, or because of some slight chemical change in the frying oil - they were not as good as earlier.


No comments: