Monday 12 August 2013

Pork Baguette and Detox (by G)

Yesterday I crossed the border from Thailand to Laos and had been feeling out of sorts all day.  I think it may have had something to do with the amount of alcohol I'd had the last few days - probably the Thai Whiskey I had the night before (yes Mother, I said I wouldn't drink the Thai Whiskey any more - but it was only 2 or 3 shots).  There appears to be excellent food everywhere in Vientiane which made me anxious because too much choice means I'll dither and spin in circles and invariably pick the worst place to eat.

The other difficulty was that I'd bought some cheeses from a supermarket earlier thinking it would make a good midnight snack, not really considering that I had no way to keep it cold - so I ended up eating most of a wheel of brie, most of a block of cheddar and most of a smaller block of Emmental in the late afternoon... not conducive to seeking out a big dinner meal.

In the end I decided a small baguette and some juice would probably be manageable (and would act as a bit of a detox) so I pulled into a juice and sandwich bar (I forget the name, it's the one opposite the 'Beverley Hills Polo Club'... seriously).  The pork was excellent, roasted and juicy (sadly not visible in the picture). Also not visible are some lightly fried onions which worked really well with the pork. The only thing that didn't go well was the raw spring onion - too oniony.

The guava juice was pretty good - it certainly tasted healthy. So much so that after finishing that I got a strawberry juice which was so cold it gave me a headache.  Different and more intense than a whiskey headache but with a shorter duration.



No comments: