Monday 26 August 2013

Khmer BBQ degustation (by G)

It seemed like time to eat somewhere else other than the hotel and I'd noticed quite a few Khmer BBQ places around Siem Reap...

This is a great concept, like a combination barbecue/steam boat. The piece of pork fat (at top) is used to grease the barbecue dome in the middle. Chicken stock, vegetables and noodles were added to the trough at the bottom and simmered.

I had the single degustation menu (that's what they called it) for $10 which included beef, chicken, pork, prawns and crocodile with unlimited vegetables, rice and noodles.  They guy showed me how to barbecue the beef then, thankfully, buggered off so I could do the rest of the cooking myself.  The genius of the concept is that any meat juices or stray bits of meat enhance the flavour of the broth at the bottom.

This would be great with a beer but I had a sore throat and was not feeling too well so I paired it with (a spirit which I have forgotten the name of but which tastes like angostura bitters).  The combination of the medicinal qualities of the alcohol and the three bowls of chicken noodle soup at the end of the meal cured me right up.


No comments: