Tuesday 20 August 2013

Chicken Amok (by G)

I was sitting by the river in Kratie this evening with no real plans of where or what to eat (other than that it should be chicken) when a very friendly guy came by with a flyer for a restaurant just down the road. Normally I'm not very receptive to people giving out fliers on the street, but he was very engaging so I said, 'Okay'.

The reason for having chicken this night is that earlier in the day I'd hired a tuk tuk to go out and see the dolphins and a turtle hatchery - on the way back we hit and killed a chicken.  I figured there was now surplus chicken in the greater Kratie area which I should do my part to redress.

The chicken Amok was not a really great meal, it was cheap and tasted okay (mostly of lemongrass and salt) but the flyer guy and his wife (who run the Silver Dolphin Guest House and Restaurant) were very friendly.  As were the middle-aged French couple at the next table - so I ended up drinking too much beer and (alarmingly) a surprising amount of Pastis and having a good evening... though not conducive to getting up early the next day and taking a very bumpy minivan journey to Phnom Phen.


No comments: