Monday 19 August 2013

Porcupine Fish Egg and Pork (by G)

Due to local flooding and having to take a long detour I got into Kratie much later than expected. After taking a walk through the dusty back streets and passing quickly through the uninspiring, flyblown market I decided today was not the day (nor Kratie the town) for street food.  Instead I had a swift few beers and headed back to eat at the hotel restaurant. Most of the restaurants are attached to a hotel or guest house anyway so I didn't feel too bad about that.

'Porcupine Fish Egg and Pork' sounded like an unusual combination so I went with that. When it came it looked like this:

I took my photos then pondered for quite a while over what it all meant. Was the fried rice (in the background) meant to represent fish eggs? Is Pork a Cambodian code for Beef?  Just as I got the first delicious forkful to my mouth and embarrassed waiter came and explained I had been delivered the wrong meal.

Later, when a new dish appeared I double it was almost as thought provoking so I double checked that I'd got the correct meal this time.  Apparently I had.  After a period of reflection I think a translation of the name of the meal may be 'Porcupine Fish and Pork Omelette'. It was, after all, a savoury omelette with little pieces of pork (and possibly porcupine fish) though it.  The vegetables in the background are, green papaya, cabbage, cucumber, beans and small green, slightly bitter, but otherwise bland round things.


No comments: