Saturday 24 August 2013

Fish Head, Clams and Rice (by G)

I got to Siem Reap in a hot little transit van in the mid-afternoon, then went to the hotel, had a walk, came back and drank 5 beers then went to my room to watch the formula one qualifying.

Unfortunately I fell asleep and woke up pretty late at night.  I'm staying really close to Angkor Wat and there is virtually nothing around here so I hastened downstairs to find the restaurant closed but the staff still sitting around drinking. Is there any possibility of getting something to eat I asked.  After some consultation the manager said there was some left over fish and clams.  'Excellent,' I said.

I was kind of expecting a fish stew not just a fish head and a plate of clams.  The clams were a bit of a worry for me because they were all closed. Someone showed me how to pry them open (which is what I was sure you were not supposed to do - maybe they had all opened earlier then closed after cooking. Regardless, I was pretty worried about possible after effects).

In the end I flaked all the edible meat off the fish, shucked all the clams and mixed it all in together. Not what I would have ordered if I'd had the chance, but more than I deserve.


No comments: