Saturday 20 September 2014

F1 Chicken Burrito (by G)

Biggs seems to be smashing it out of the park lately, while my dinners are going downhill somewhat. Not that there are limited options at the formula one - they just mostly suck.

There was a 2 hour break in the action prior to the F1 qualifying so I decided journey to another part of the track to try something that had caught my eye - pies by Squires and Scoundrels - it was mostly the name of the place that appealed to me.  It was out by one of the stages where the Pet Shop Boys were about to play so there was a bit of a line-up - by the time I got close to the front of the queue I discovered that they had Pure Blond and Victoria Bitter on tap, not an inspiring discovery. When I got to the front of the line it turned out they had run out of pies and there would be a 30 minute wait. I like pies, but I was not willing to miss the start of qualifying for one, so I got an overpriced Cairns Gold Lager and went to a nearby food stand that had virtually no queue - a Mexican place - and got a chicken burrito, then found an empty place, by the riverbank away from the blue rinse rave that was going on for the Boys, and ate it. 

The burrito was not great - easily digestible would be the best thing I could say about it. It was creamy and pretty flavourless, not objectionable but not great.

In a bizarre moment, just after I had finished my burrito, a golf cart convoy led by a segue with police lights and sirens passed directly behind me ferrying the president of Singapore from one part of the track to another - he smiled at me. I think he knew he was off to eat something much nicer that I had just stomached.

The pie people turned out to be more Scoundrels than Squires this night.

No comments: