Monday 22 September 2014

Pasta with Leftovers (by Biggs)

Tonight I was determined to get rid of a bunch of things from the fridge by mixing them through a pasta and putting them in my stomach.

The list of things I got rid of is:
  • onion
  • jarred capsicum oil
  • cherry tomatoes
  • spinach
  • parsley
  • parmesan cheese
  • olives
  • bow tie pasta
  • macaroni 
  • salami (if I'm entirely honest I bought the salami to add to dinner but, I did then get rid of it)
I was pretty proud of my effort. Unfortunately I've now created the issue of 'pasta with leftovers' leftovers but that's now a tomorrow problem.

The idea to use the left over oil from a jar of oven-roasted capsicum was inspired by one of my favourite chefs Hugue Dufour (pronounced "hUrGHHGffs DuGHHffsest"). I read an interview of his once when he suggested the best bang-for-buck ingredient is "Leftover brine from jarred pickles or olives. People throw it away, but it’s amazing in a simple dressing or sauce or mayonnaise". Genius!

Also, just because the the photo makes it look like I served dinner in a giant fry pan that may not be entirely accurate....or maybe it is.  

No comments: