Friday 30 January 2015

Beet on the Brat (by G)

Food Charades! Mine is pretty literal Beetroot on Bratwurst (beet on brat - pretty cleaver). Beat on the Brat is a Ramones song for those who don't know.

The main difficulty I had tonight is finding bratwursts, they are normally in the supermarket but neither the deli counter nor the cured meats section had any. I asked the Wurst-meister guy at the west end market if he would sell me some raw ones but he wouldn't. The Swiss deli was my last option - they had sold out. I went with continental frankfurters instead.

The hotdog was pretty simple: sauerkraut, fried bacon, Swiss cheese, the sausage and some tinned beetroot glued on top with a mayonnaise/Dijon mustard mix.

In the interests of fairness I thought I should mention to Biggs that the sausages were not Bratwursts as intended but continental frankfurters - I thought it might also switch her on to the fact we were actually playing food charades without saying it directly. She did not twig.

I told her of my dramas in trying to get bratwursts because it was particularly important that I get bratwursts for these particular hotdogs. That didn't spark anything.

I told her that I would like to have put the beetroot under the sausage but I couldn't. Still nothing.

Biggs commented that they were pretty good hotdogs, to which I replied that I couldn't fully appreciate them because they were not made with bratwursts. "I guess I'm just not as hung-up on the bratwursts as you are", was her response to that final hint.

Finally I worked out how to get Biggs into the game - I asked if she would like to know what I call my hotdog creation... "No! Wait!", she said and proceeded to start guessing.  She got it in the end - probably not by the strict rules of charades, but this is food charades and anything goes.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

These were good. My stomach was very full after one.

I did also keep questioning G as to why he put beetroot on the hotdog. But, why beetroot? He claimed it was a classic combination.

And, in my defense, there was no brat.