Saturday 10 January 2015

Cold Beef Salad (by G)

As today was hot and muggy and unpleasant I decided early on to have a salad for dinner, so I hauled ass to the Asian grocery and bought up a bunch of ingredients.

The salad was a pretty simple to assemble. Chop up the water spinach, coriander, spring onions and red chilli and mix that through a handful of mung bean sprouts. I grated in some lemon grass and a little clove of garlic then dressed it all with a scant amount of fish sauce, sugar, rice wine vinegar and savoury chilli sauce.  As I was tossing the salad with my hands the hollow water spinach made a sound like trickling water - delightful.

I had already seared and chilled a little beef steak so I sliced that really thin and arranged it on the plate before piling a healthy dose of the salad on the top. I was pretty happy with the rose pink colour of the beef.

Had I thought of it I would had dressed the beef as well as the salad to give it a bit more flavour, otherwise the salad hit the spot.

No comments: