Monday 12 January 2015

Pork and Cabbage Fried Rice with Prawn Omlette (by G)

I was looking to do something simple and tasty this evening, Biggs is back from house sitting so I wanted to step up my game a little (but without any additional effort).

Fried rice is easy, I had some rice left over from last night which I froze to dry it out a bit. I had also bought some Chinese BBQ pork a couple of days ago especially to make fried rice. Unaccountably I tried one little bit to test it for quality and, before I knew it, there was no BBQ pork left. I had to make a special trip on my way home from work to get a replacement piece.

The main purpose of making fried rice was to get rid of a large amount of cabbage I've been storing. I chopped up a good quantity of the cabbage and added it to the diced and lightly fried pork along with some garlic, spring onion, some red curry paste from last night and coriander. When I added the rice it was soon clear that it had not dried out enough and the rice was going to be a bit gluggy. I pushed on anyway and added soy sauce for flavouring. There wasn't too much flavour to the rice so I also added some strange chilli shrimp powder I bought on an impulse months ago.  The rice turned out okay but, as I say, gluggy and the other flavours overpowered the joyous taste of the BBQ pork.

Just for fun I was also going to make some oyster omlettes. I couldn't find any oysters I was happy with so in the end I went with prawns. Quickly blanched then added to a basic omlette mix (with some more red curry paste for luck). I think I used too much egg in the omlettes - they were quite thick.



1 comment:

Biggs said...

G and I had some gruffness about this dinner when I suggested it was too flavourful.

I didn't actually mean it was too flavourful. What I meant was that it was so flavourful I couldn't taste the delicious delicious BBQ.

Lucky we had a bit of a taster as a pre-dinner snack.