Saturday 17 January 2015

Lemon Apple Cider Chicken (by Biggs)

For Christmas I was gifted a marinade injector and can't believe it's taken me this long to use it. I went with a menu-style dinner tonight where G was allowed to pick the marinade type from an extensive list that came with the marinade injector. For reasons unknown he chose Lemon Apple Cider - perhaps he thought this flavour would result in a pork dinner....alas, it did not.

I chose chicken legs because that's what they used in the marinade injector instructions. The idea is that you make a marinade, suck it up into the giant syringe that is the marinade injector and inject away. As suspected most of the marinade immediately came pouring out of the meat but I pushed on.

After baking the chicken in the oven for an hour they came out pretty pale so I gave them a quick fry up to add some colour. I can't say that injecting the marinade made much of a difference but there was a subtle cider flavour to the meat so I'm willing to give it another chance.

I sent photos of the fairly gross injecting process to a few friends and received mixed responses including:

"Wow, it's a lot more surgical than I imagined"

"Geez....does marinade need to be injected....I like it, but seems excessive"

"This is exciting"

"I'm not sure how I feel about marinade injector day. Was it excellent?"

It was not.

What was excellent were the sides. I made up a salad of green beans, bacon, parsley and grain mustard that was simply delicious.

That's all for now but stay tuned for more marinade injector tales!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting pic...would you please share with blog followers on the techniques used?

G said...

I did think the injection marinating would result in a lot of flavour but the lemon and apple hints were pretty subtle - I blame myself as I chose the marinade flavour.

Beans and bacon were great, lots of flavour there.