Monday 26 January 2015

Lamb Shank and Pasta (by G)

I was on a bit of a meat buying frenzy lately and picked up a couple of lamb shanks, I also picked up a packet of some cool pasta shapes kind of like open macaroni on one side and with ridges on the other - scientifically designed to trap the flavour.
 
Firstly I marinated the shanks in red wine with a couple of bay leaves in it. After a few hours of that I fried some leftover red onion, garlic, some tomato paste and a chopped tomato then added the shanks, wine and bay leaves. I also added some vegetable stock and home grown thyme for flavour.
 
After simmering all of that for a couple of hours I took the shanks out, strained out the solids, and boiled the crap out of the liquid to reduce it down to a thick sauce. The weather was a bit warm so I decided to wait on dinner for a few minutes while I refrigerated the shanks, cooked pasta and sauce - then I combined them all in an attractive manner on a plate then topped it with some chopped fresh herbs from the garden.
 
The sauce was pretty rich after all that reducing but it was pretty tasty. The pasta shapes were awesome.
 


No comments: