Saturday 3 January 2015

Lamb Cutlets with Aloo Dum (by G)

Aloo Dum is apparently the Indian equivalent of chips - served with everything. Lamb cutlets are the baby sheep equivalent of pork cutlets - little bits of lambs.  The combination is excellent.

To make the Aloo Dum I simmered some potato pieces until tender then fried them. Once they were golden I dusted them with turmeric.  To make the sauce I fried bay leaves, asafoetida, some onion, garlic and ginger. Once the onion and garlic were tender I added some chilli, cumin, coriander powder, amchur (that's dried mango powder - cool), more turmeric powder and some salt.

Deep breath... Once that was all fried correctly I then added some passata, green chilli and some water. After a few minutes of simmering to thicken the sauce I added some garam masala.  Okay, I forgot the peas, I was bound to forget something.  Nevertheless the Aloo Dum was phenomenal.

The lamb chops were a little less ingredient intensive just cloves, dried chillies, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and pepper corns toasted and ground, mixed through some yoghurt with a grating of ginger.  After marinating the lamb chops in the flavoured yoghurt for a couple of hours they were simply grilled.  They were good, but not as good as the potatoes. Also, the packet garlic naan was great. All packet naan is great - and simple to make.

No comments: