Wednesday 28 January 2015

Pressed Corned Beef Sandwich (by G)

It has been so hot lately that I was determined to serve a cold dinner (even though the weather took a cool turn pretty much as soon as I decided that).

The idea was that I would take slices of corned beef that I had cooked the day before, layer it up on some Turkish bread with some roasted vegetables (zucchini, egg plant and pumpkin), some Swiss cheese, some chopped capers and a touch of Mexican salsa from a jar then press it flat. Everything went to plan, except that the surface area of the thinly sliced vegetables was such that I had to do it in batches - which took an awfully long time...

For sides I roasted some mushrooms then quick pickled them in a cider vinegar/olive oil vinaigrette (pepped up with some home grown mixed herbs and roasted garlic).  I also griddled up some wedges of cos lettuce and dressed it with the remaining pickling liquid.

The mushrooms were good. The sandwich was soggy - which I was hoping it wouldn't be but knew deep down that it would be. The lettuce was weird, it wasn't as tight as I had expected so it didn't griddle well and it was quite bitter.

There was a spare sandwich that I chucked on the griddle and toasted up after dinner. It was much better - not soggy, melty cheese - I really should just have done that in the first place.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I don't like to be critical. G is the best cook I know. But this wasn't one of his finest. Good beef. Too many vegetables. Bread a touch wet. Lettuce - too cooked.

The picked mushrooms however were perfect!