Saturday 9 November 2013

Crumbed Lamb Cutlets (by G)

Biggs and I were discussing the crumbed lamb cutlets Mum used sometimes to make for us when we were young. We discovered a paradox in that we used to get at least 3 chops each in a family of 5 - pretty inconceivable on a budget. The only explanation I can come up with is that cutlets were not that popular 15 or 20 years ago, because they are a prime cut now.

Anyway, Biggs had some hard-to-come-by parsley left over from yesterday so I decided to incorporate it as much as possible. The lamb cutlets were dusted in flour, dipped in egg/milk wash and crusted with panko and parsley, then fried in butter and oil, oven roasted for a while, then pan fried again to get them back to crispy. Crumbing meat worries me a bit, there is a risk that the whole crust will get soggy or slide off - I pretty much nailed it this time.

To re-utilize the parsley I made parsley sauce (a roux of butter and flour, milk, chicken stock, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and parsley). We have potatoes so I roasted some for us and par-boiled some sugar snap peas.

I was pretty happy with this meal, the lamb cutlets were delicious as was the sauce. As content as I am now with my belly full of wee sheep parts I tend to think Mum did a better job of the crumbing and frying.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Crumbed meat....excellent. Lamb meat....excellent. Crumbed lamb....super excellent. The B sure wasn't silent in this meal.

The parsley sauce is new to me and an immediate favourite. No wonder Brisbane sold out of parsley yesterday. It's delicious.

Dessert is a gravy bowl of left over sauce. Yum.