Monday 25 November 2013

Toad In The Hole (by G)

I like sausages, so I'm always looking for ways to incorporate sausages into dinner. For some reason I've not thought to make 'toad in the hole before'.  I think traditionally it is made in a rectilinear pan, but I like to use my big fry-pan to oven roast things. From the choice of oven receptacle the choice of sauce was simple - one of those curled up South African tube meat dealies - boerewors (I am not going to get into a discussion on how to spell the South African spiral sausages - the ongoing chilli/chili debate nearly ended me.

I was a bit concerned the Boerewors was a bit small in diameter so I got some little pork chipolatas for around the edge. After I'd fried the sausages I added the really simple batter of flour, milk, salt and eggs and popped them in the oven. Half an hour later you end up with a splendid light sausage filled pastry.

The recipe I had suggested serving the TITH with mashed potato (check) and something green (double check)... I added something orange because we had it and packet gravy because it's easy.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

I have a secret love of dagwood dogs but can't remember the last time I had one.

Tonight, we had a fancy pan-fried, oven baked version of a dagwood dog.

Seriously, it tasted exactly the same. Awesome.