Thursday 7 November 2013

Nigella's Meatloaf (by G)

Biggs does not like meatloaf, so tonight we had meatloaf. We were watching one of Nigella Lawson's shows the other day and she made an amazing egg filled, bacon wrapped version that seemed more like an amazing techni-meaty dream than a real thing. 

Never-the-less I decided to (pretty closely) recreate it.  Rather than regular chicken eggs I went with a dozen of the little guys - quail eggs. These were added to a beef mince, slow-fried-in-butter-translucent onions, Panko bread crumbs, a hens egg (for binding), Worcestershire sauce, tabasco (my addition because tabasco and Worcestershire sauce are best friends) - then the whole lot was wrapped in bacon. If you want to catch yourself a Biggs you've got to tempt her with bacon.

To balance the meatiness I served the meatloaf with a packet salad with added cucumber, yellow capsicum and tomato.

This was a pretty good dinner, I probably went a slice too far and over-extended my belly.



News Flash: Biggs and I are working on the ultimate Nigella Lawson drinking game. Stay tuned for details!

1 comment:

Biggs said...

There's a weird positive happy vibe in our, usually surly, household tonight. For that, if that's something you're into, I can only think to thank the meatloaf. I'm glad G had given away with the vegetable-ridden dinners.

This was in no way like the dry, overcooked, breadcrumby meatloaf of youth that was recycled into school sandwiches for weeks on end.

This was absolutely divine*.

*That's a drink.