Saturday 16 November 2013

Gado Gado (by Biggs)

I've been meaning to make Gado Gado for months and months but every week I freak out because, even though the recipe is super easy, it's..... A LOT OF STUFF.

Gado Gado is an Indonesian salad of cooked and raw ingredients, served with a peanut sauce. I had the pleasure of eating it at a local restaurant a couple of years ago (last time my friend Joss was in town?!) and have thought about cooking it ever since. Finally I got around to it.

There are a bunch of different recipes available and a bunch of conflicting advice, particularly around serving temperatures, so I went with a recipe that seemed similar to the one I remember enjoying immensely and.... I let the serving temperature decide itself.

On the plate is:
Cooked - potato, carrot, bok choy, beans, tofu and eggs
Raw - tomato,  cucumber, capsicum, lime and bean sprouts
Sprinkled on top - red onion, spring onions, red chillies, dried garlic
Sauce - peanut butter (yep), garlic, chillies, ginger, brown sugar, coconut milk, soy sauce, ketchup manis and lime

What isn't shown in the photo is prawn crackers.....deep fried, various colours (including blue???). They served a great "vehicle" to transport the salad to the mouth in a very satisfying manner.

The Gado Gado was as good as I remember.......

1 comment:

G said...

This is about the most colourful and awesome thing we've had in a long time. I initially thought the tofu was chicken - that was a cruel trick. I was pleased to find the egg was real.