Friday 15 November 2013

Pork with Corn Fritters and Spinach & Feta Parcels (by G)

I like buying corn, I like cooking corn, I like eating corn - somehow-or-other though I buy a lot of corn and then leave it in the vegetable crisper to molder and end out throwing it out.  I was determined not to do that this time.

The corn fritters were a simple mix of corn, an egg, some flour, a dash of milk and some chives. When I went to fry off the first fritter it stuck to the pan and I freaked out a little and dumped the rest of the mix in the pan, fried it for a bit, topped it with Parmesan cheese and bunged it under the grill. Luckily that did the trick and the jumbo fritter came out of the pan clean.

The other thing I had to use was some grain mustard because I accidentally dropped the jar the other day and broke the lid.  The mustard sauce was a mix of beef stock and red wine - reduced, reduced, reduced with some grain mustard and a little sugar.

Also on the menu were pork chops (to go with the sauce) and spinach and feta parcels (because I thought they would be fun).  The parcels were not much fun - butter brushed filo pastry filled with fried shallot, spinach and feta. Really not very flavourful, the yogurt and cumin dipping sauce didn't really fix that problem... otherwise, I was pretty happy with this dinner.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

I'm glad G used up the box of frozen spinach we've had in our freezer for about 6 months but I wasn't too jazzed about the parcels. The corn fritter was fucking brilliant though and, because I'm totally shit at making these, I appreciated it so very much.

Pork, as always, very good.