Monday 11 November 2013

Vietnamese Style Pork Chop and Salad (by G)

I've been eating bahn mi thit from the bakery down the road quite regularly recently and tonight I craved the salad component of those tasty rolls. As we had pork chops in the house I thought that they would be a good pairing.

The pork chops were marinated in the same basic juice that went into the salad dressing (fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, lime juice and garlic) except that I also added some coriander, chilli and a little soy sauce. After a couple of hours of marinating the chops were fried and then oven baked. 

The salad was a mix of grated carrot, shredded cabbage, cucumber, red onion, coriander, mint and chilli (now that I think about it I meant to add crispy fried onion from the packet but forgot).

The best thing, the pork actually came with skin attached - I detached it, oiled and salted it and cooked it in the oven. Unfortunately it did not get as crackly as I thought it had.

Pork was good and the salad fresh and excellent. I learned that white pepper and lime juice is an excellent accompaniment to everything on Phu Quoc island off the south coast of Vietnam - dinner was good, but I wish I was enjoying it in a geographically suited location (eg Phu Quoc) - weather permitting.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This pork chop was absolutely delicious. The pepper and lime dipping sauce gave it a lovely smoky flavour on top of what was already a spectacular flavour.

I always leave the best parts of dinner for last so usually hook into the salad and veges before a dessert of meats. However, after one bite of this salad I left the remainder and moved onto the pork. I had to leave the best for last. It was incredible.

The non-crackly crackle made for an excellent sponge to soak up all the left over dressing at the end of the meal.