Wednesday 13 November 2013

T-Bone Steak with Onion Gravy (by G)

We had some T-bone steaks in the freezer so I thought I would try to do something a bit fancy with them. The steaks were just pan fried after seasoning - the gravy was made from thick sliced red and white onions slowly sautéed in butter with some left-over mixed herbs then white wine and stock was added and the sauce was meticulously reduced over about an hour and a half - once the steaks had been fried the sauce was added back to the pan to pick up all the pan juices and parsley was added at the last minute. 

For vegetables I oven roasted a potato and par-boiled carrot, cauliflower, broccoli and corn then added then added them to a cheesy sauce made from flour, butter, milk, cheese and cayenne pepper. Unfortunately I burned the sauce at the last minute and it did not turn out at all as planned.

When I was cooking Biggs said she knew what I was cooking - she thought it was a version of the steaks Mum used to cook when we were kids. She used to put the steaks in a container, sprinkle them with French onion soup powder, cover with glad-wrap and microwave the shit out of them.  It was not my intention but dinner turned out almost exactly like that... with a lot more effort.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I just had a small freak out that all those steaks I ate as a child were microwaved but.....it all adds up, 'twas the season of the microwave after all.

I thought dinner was tasty. Nice strong flavours. The onion gravy tasted nice and peppery and I actually through the burnt cheese sauce tasted nice and smokey.