Monday 18 November 2013

Salt and Pepper Chicken (by Biggs)

I was feeling quite confident after the success of the Gado Gado so decided to go again with dinner almost immediately, volunteering for Monday night cooking.

I needed some inspiration so grabbed the nearest cookbook (30 Minute Meals A Commonsense Guide - no author listed) and opened it to a random recipe. That random recipe was salt and pepper chicken. It seemed tasty, easy and we had most of the ingredients.

The chicken was dusted in a mix of flour, white pepper, salt and Chinese five spice then fried. The carrots, capsicum and bok choy were coated in soy and oyster sauce then fried. Lastly, the rice came in a packet and was microwaved. I've previously mentioned on the blog how terrible I am at cooking rice. This microwave business isn't perfect but it sure as hell has eliminated a whole lot of rice-cooking related angst.

 Dinner was pretty good. I think the chicken was a bit too floury and a bit too peppery. The salt was coarse and the pepper was fine which I think caused the imbalance of flavours and we had very little oil which perhaps resulted in the flour not being fried up too well.

When I planned this I imagined a huge pile of vegetables and a small handful of chicken but it turned out the other way around....probably as a result of my poor maths skills. A happy problem.

1 comment:

G said...

The chicken was really nice - just like a good salt-and-pepper squid... but with chicken. Good amount of vegetables also.