Tuesday 26 November 2013

Lamb, Aubergine and Tomato Stew (by G)

There has been a lot of aubergine in recent dinners - that is because I over-invested in little aubergines at the market on the weekend. I decided today was the day to get most of the rest of them out of the way so I decided to make a large quantity of aubergine rich stew.  This one was interesting because it had a topping of chick peas and feta.

I didn't forget that Biggs wouldn't be home tonight to share the burden, I knew she had plans on Tuesday - I just forgot today was Tuesday... I also didn't plan to so faithfully re-create what looks like a plate of vomit, that was just a happy coincidence.

First I pan fried some lamb fore-quarter chops, a lot of onions (we also have a lot of those to get through), a lot of aubergines (see above), cumin seeds, Moroccan seasoning (whatever that is), tomato paste, salt and pepper.

Then I put all of that in a pot with a tin of tomatoes, coriander stalks and some beef stock and put it in the oven for about an hour and a half, then added some flour and water for thickening and a crust of chick peas and feta - then back in the oven for another half an hour.  I used the coriander leaves for a base to the stew.

It turned out pretty well, much richer that I would have expected. The texture of the lamb was excellent - the feta didn't add much, it was not the crumbling kind.


No comments: