Wednesday 20 November 2013

Ham Steaks (by G)

I got a craving for something a bit different and struck on the idea of having ham steaks.  Looking at recipes on the internet it appeared that there are actually real ham steaks with a bone in the center and everything - Biggs and I have only ever had the perfectly round processed ones... even those were impossible to find at the supermarket so I bought a weird ham loaf and cut it into slices.

The ham steaks were simply pan fried. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of fruit in a meal - especially pineapple but I decided that when you're eating ham steaks you have to go a bit retro. Rather than top them with a slice of pineapple, however, I decided to do a bit of a pineapple chutney (canned pineapple slices, apple cider vinegar, white pepper and some chilli flakes for heat).

For sides I char fried some halved brussel sprouts, added some par-boiled carrot, spring onions, some diced ham and garlic.  I also diced and boiled some potatoes and fried the crap out of them and added some garlic powder and butter at the end... (actually, I forgot, I also added some ham to the potatoes as well - tippling down on the ham).

Even dodgy ham steaks are a wonderful thing - I wonder what kind of animal they are made from...

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.