Friday 29 November 2013

Magic Chicken (by Biggs)

I don't know the origin of this Magic Chicken recipe but it is simple and delicious and one of my favourites.

My friends Cam and Liz gave me a photocopy of the recipe along with an amazing Dutch oven for Christmas last year. The giant heavy-based pot gets a lot of love in our kitchen (except for one time when I left it in the fridge for a month with leftover soup in it).

The trick to this dinner is that if you open a bottle (or two) of red wine when you start cooking, once you've finished the wine, the chicken will be ready. Then you open another bottle to have with dinner. That's how we've always done it at dinner parties and it works out perfectly. The recipe is actually called "chicken with red-wine vinegar and tomato" but in reality it is.....Magic Chicken.

Beyond drinking a lot of wine you need to fry off some chicken thighs, garlic and shallots, pour in the red-wine vinegar and then when there's a "convincing sizzle" you add passata and chicken stock. Leave it while you drink the bottle of wine then add butter and parsley. I served it with some tiny taters and bread.

I was pretty happy with the chicken but did add waaaaay too much white pepper....I was meant to add black pepper. I'm not sure what happened there. It's Friday, I'm tired.

1 comment:

G said...

I like magic everything and magic chicken is no exception. Almost un-improvable, unless... bacon? Black pepper rather than white may have been a slight improvement.

I, also, am tired otherwise I would rhapsodise some more.