Friday 8 November 2013

Nigella's Scallops and Chorizo (by Biggs)

I too have been inspired by Nigella's lustful ways this week. I watched her cook scallops with a green Thai pea puree and decided that is what we were going to have for dinner tonight. When I was looking up the recipe I noticed she also has a scallop and chorizo recipe. Once I knew this, I couldn't forget it so, on the plate tonight.....scallops and chorizo.

I tasked G with buying scallops while I sourced the other three ingredients - chorizo, lemon and parsley. Turns out you can only buy frozen scallops in our neighbourhood so I left them on the bench and lovingly patted them down with paper towel for about half an hour. It turns out scallops really shouldn't be frozen, they squash and tear and weep massive amounts of liquid when you try to cook them.

Ramsey, Tom and Bourdain would have each ripped me a new one had they seen how these scallops were cooked but.... [insert multiple Top Chef-style excuses here]. Multiple pans, multiple cook tops, multiple lubricants and a whole lot of draining later, the scallops were cooked. I fried some chorizo then tossed it together with the scallops, some lemon and parsley. After discovering a city-wide parsley drought late this afternoon it's lucky these four ingredients actually found themselves in a pan together tonight. But, I'm glad they did. I wish I'd managed a better sear on the scallops but circumstances were against me.

Nigella claims the quantity I made serves 8 as a starter or 4 as a meal. She must be as bad at maths as I am. We are going hungry tonight

1 comment:

G said...

Biggs is normally onto her 2nd bottle of $4 wine by dinner time in the evening, but today she was sober and sharp. There was a bit too much cursing for me to say this meal was made with love, it was made with care though. I liked the scallops and chorrizo, also the rare parsley and chorrizo, also the lemon and chorrizo... hell, I'm just glad chrrizo is back in style.