Tuesday 19 May 2015

Biggs' Birthday Bonanza - Pepe's (by G)

This year Biggs' birthday coincided with Tortilla Tuesday. I knew exactly what this meant... Fiesta Time!

Via the internet I discovered a very promising Mexican restaurant called Pepe's in Newmarket and made a reservation.  Did I say 'promising'? It was kind of hard to tell what to expect. On the one hand the menu said serious Mexican restaurant, on every other hand it came across as a hokey faux Mexican theme park where you would expect mariachi in false moustaches 'playing' plastic instruments.

In the end it was a not very terrible, not very authentic Mexican place with ample supplies of beer - which was just fine by us.

Biggs and I ordered a selection of things. Jalapeno poppers, tamales, empanadas and chimi-changas.

The jalapeno poppers were excellent, though they seemed to be tomatoes stuffed with a jalapeno flavoured cheez whiz filling. They were by far the least greasy and best crumbed poppers I've had.

I did not care for the tamales, they were oddly sweet and coconut heavy.  Everything else was fine, Biggs particularly liked the chorizo in the empanada - and the bucket of beers was a hit with both of us.

I kind of objected to the 'just-add-beans-and-rice-and-some-weird-apple-salad-to-everything' just to make it a main course strategy. But, as I say, it was not terrible.

PS: You can't blame me for the quality of the photograph - these images are courtesy of the birthday girl.









1 comment:

Biggs said...

An average suburban Mexican cafe for my Birthday dinner? Who would have thunk it?

It was worth the bus ride just for the jalapeƱo poppers and bucket of beer!