Thursday 21 May 2015

Nieuw Amsterdam (by Biggs)

Before coming down to Melbourne I was looking for a meat-centric restaurant to dine at. Eventually I outsourced the research to G and he found this BBQ Pit place.

It was a touch more swanky and the food did not disappoint. Pork hock nuggets, rum-cured salmon and pork belly. All sensational. I also had a taste of Red's shrimp and grits. Pretty impressive.

I don't usually like to name and shame on the blog but the only frustrating thing is that the wait staff generally ignored our existence to the point that we started wondering if we were invisible. Then they dared take the beer menu away from us after only one beer which almost pushed me over the edge.

Fortunately one of the staff members who was actually hosting his family at the time ended up coming over and looking after all our beer requirements - talking us through the bonus Good Beer Week menu (did I mention it's Good beer Week while I'm here? Awfully fortuitous), providing us tasting notes, not to mention providing us beer and, most critically, not taking away our menu. He really redeemed the situation.

I tried a smoked porter from the bonus beer menu. It was delicious but was chosen mainly for it's excellent name - Beavertown Smog Rocket!



No comments: