Monday 18 May 2015

Chips and Savoury Mince (by G)

Once again (apparently) I was hankering for a savoury mince roll like what we used to get back in the 90's - it's nothing really special, just a savoury mince slapped on a roll. I checked back in the blog and discovered this is something I have mentioned before - though that time I filled a roll with bolognaise sauce, which is not the correct type of mince.

The correct mince should be made by browning some beef mince and adding lightly fried onion (and perhaps some garlic) along with some tomato paste, stock and Worcestershire sauce then it should be cooked until ready. That is what I attempted to do but we currently have a non-authentic Worcestershire sauce which is about 100 times too sweet - when I tasted the meat I was alarmed to discover how sweet it had become. I remedied this as best I could with some vinegar and soy sauce - the resulting mince was almost authentic.

In the time I had taken to make the mince I had also decided that I didn't want to stuff it into bread rolls anymore (because of the quantity of mince) so I oven baked some chips and topped them with the mince instead. An excellent combination.

No comments: