Friday 1 May 2015

Roast Pork Roll (by Biggs)

I had an idea for a nice fresh cold seafood dinner tonight then, the apocalypse came in the form of a torrential, freezing downpour. Buckets and buckets and buckets of rain fell out of the sky so I decided a warm, comforting meal might be more appropriate.

I was wandering around the valley and saw a sign that said "roast pork roll with gravy - $7.90" and thought that might hit the spot. I bought a couple of pork fillets to roast up and some Vietnamese rolls.

Fortunately, I served a valuable gravy making apprenticeship when I worked at a 24-hour roadhouse in my youth. The trick was to mix a 10 litre bucket of gravox with a 20 litre bucket of water. They are not the proportions advised by the instructions on the box given that ratio turns into a solid salty mess of virtually inedible something but, it is what I know and love. G didn't seem to impressed with the gravy and quickly switched to chili sauce.

Noteworthy, my cost per roll was about $4.20 but was probably the worst roast pork roll with gravy I've ever had.....only because the dodgy ones from the servos are fucking incredible.

1 comment:

G said...

Pork on a roll is never a bad thing. I switched to chilli sauce mainly because I was making too much of a mess of myself and my environs with the gravy.