Saturday 2 May 2015

Pork Hock Ragout (by G)

Some time ago I simmered a pork hock and noticed that the meat separated into long strands, like spaghetti.  For this dinner I decided to do a play on this and make pork hock spaghetti.

Needless to say the plan did not exactly work out. After simmering a hock in a pot of water and vegetables (celery, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme) I let it cool for a little while then tried to strip it into strands, this did not work, the result was more like chunks.

Anywho, there was not enough pork hock (in my opinion) to serve two people so I ended up cooking some penne as well.

The sauce was a simply tomato, garlic, onion, vegetable stock, thyme, dried oregano (thanks Fi), salt and pepper stewed to a saucy consistency. I inadvertently got a tin of Italian cherry tomatoes, they were so charming that I decided to serve some of them whole.

My verdict - pork hock good.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Man - this was satisfying. It was basically a big pile of pig - my favourite!