Friday 22 May 2015

Green Curry (by G)

My intention was to make a Thai red curry but the quality of the red chillies at the supermarket was not to my liking, so I went with a green curry instead. There was also the small matter of not being able to easily acquire lemon grass or galangal. As it turns out this curry came out very green indeed.

To make it I blitzed together shallot, garlic, ginger, coriander and, of course, some green chillies then cooked the rawness out of the paste and added some beef, coconut milk powder and a little water and fish sauce (in place of shrimp paste, which we appear to have run out of) then simmered it until the sauce was at my desired thickness. Right at the end I added some hokkien noodles and snow peas - I think, traditionally, they would be green beans but the quality of the green beans at the moment also leaves something to be desired. 

Despite the obvious departure from what it was originally supposed to be this curry style dish was very pleasing to the palate, if not the eye.

No comments: