Friday 29 May 2015

Sausage Fricassee (by G)

It seems like an age since I've had sausages (though I guess it has been less than 48 hours) and I like the word fricassee so I thought I'd have a look around for one.  There were a surprising number of them about but I liked the look of this creole one. What this guy doesn't know about creole sausage fricassee isn't worth knowing (well, he does have a recipe for it - which is more than most people).

I didn't have all the ingredients (such as Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning) but I made do.

The below version is made from pork sausages, onion, garlic, red capsicum, celery, potato, old bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and some home-made roux.

The roux was the only thing that took any real effort, I didn't have butter to make my roux so I used ghee and cooked it over low heat for about and hour and the quarter stirring frequently until it was rich and dark.

The resulting fricassee was excellent - good spice. I had meant to serve it with some country style bread but bought an olive loaf by accident, that was no bad thing.

No comments: