Thursday 21 May 2015

Pork Rashers and Noodles (by G)

Pork and noodles is a classic combination and, let's be honest, is a pretty easy thing to make. This one was a bit of a slow cooking process. First I simmered some bacon bones in plain water for about an hour to infuse some of the flavour then popped in some pork rashers that I had already grilled to get some colour on them.

Once the pork rashers had been simmering for about half an hour and seemed pretty tender I added some soup vegetables carrot, onion, potato and swede and continued cooking. When the vegetables were tender I added back the scraps of bacon that I had stripped from the bones along with some hokkien noodles. By the time the noodles had cooked there was not much liquid left in the pot - just a rich sauce.

I can tell you, though it takes a little time, this is well worth doing. The rich bacon sauce had a flavour and texture something like chicken fat and had imparted all that bacony goodness to the vegetables and noodles.

No comments: