Thursday 28 May 2015

Warm Beef Salad (by G)

Why does every beef salad have to be a Thai beef salad? I did an internet search for 'warm beef salad' and got a few hits.

I glanced over a recipe and saw it involved marinating and frying some beef then adding red onion, tomato, red capsicum and some salad greens - too easy.

When it came to making the marinade I remembered some of the ingredients - minced garlic and ginger, soy sauce... my soy sauce ran out so I went back into the cupboard to get the replacement bottle Biggs had bought and splashed it in... at that point I realised I had added fish sauce. In hindsight I remembered Biggs had pointed out that the soy sauce she had bought mentioned that it should be stored in the fridge. I got the soy sauce out of the fridge and added a splash more to the marinade, but by that point I'd already gone off piste so I decided to just add whatever. I added funky fermented chilli and black bean sauce, mirin, brown sugar, sesame oil, tamarind paste, lime (that one was actually in the recipe) and - I think that's it. 

After marinating some beef bits for an hour and a half I drained it and grilled it, then quickly pan fried it with some sliced red onion, tomato and red capsicum.

After all that was warm I added it to a bowl of mixed salad greens, splashed over some more sesame oil, soy sauce and lime juice then topped it with feta cheese cubes and tossed it up for serving.

I've got to say, the flavours were flipping amazing. Alas, the preparation was so ad-hoc that the recipe will never be faithfully created.

No comments: