Saturday 16 May 2015

Lamb, Spinach and Pickles (by G)

Oh, boy! I had a brilliant plan that went relatively spectacularly awry.  The plan was to make some roti from scratch and serve it up with some slow cooked lamb and Indian fixings.

The lamb thing started out pretty as expected - I coated a little lamb roast with the rest of a jar biryani paste and slow roasted it to perfection - 7 hours, oh yeah.

Next I made some roti dough, flattened it out with the tortilla press then attempted to fry it up. Alas, the dough was too dry and they all crumbled when I transferred them to the pan. I quickly gave up on the roti idea.

I made some creamed spinach by wilting spinach leaves into some fried onion and garlic, then adding some turmeric, cumin, turmeric and yoghurt - that turned out pretty well.

Just as the lamb was coming to the end of its cooking I decided to get some colour on it so I jacked the oven up as high it would go. In no time I had burned the outside of the lamb. Luckily it was so tender after 7 hours of slow cooking that there was still some reasonably decent meat near the bone.

The meal, in the end, consisted of underwhelming quantities of lamb, the spinach, some pickled garlic and some mixed Indian pickles. In my head it was going to be a cornucopia of deliciousness, I was surprised to find how few elements there were on the plate. It was only later that I realised I had also made some raita and stored it in the fridge for serving time, and then forgotten about it...

Aw shit! Even the photo is disappointing.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I liked the lamb, the spinach was good but.....the pickles were somewhat offensive.