Friday 12 July 2013

Hanwoori (by Biggs)

All you can eat! We decided on Korean BBQ all you can eat.

A bit of internet research led us to Hanwoori. After all, comments regarding this restaurant included: "The first thing to point out was that the beef steaks served in the buffet area seem not to be, I would say, fresh or quality meat" and, "service is fine but low grade meat cuts were a disappointment".....we were convinced.

The photo may appear unimpressive but multiple plates of octopus, prawns (little straight ones and pink ones), ox tongue, chicken, beef ribs, pork belly, beef belly and steak were all consumed. Oh, and cheerios? We teamed this with kimchi, green chillies, onion, garlic and occasionally wrapped this in pickled radish....genius. Thanks Korea! Entrees were thinly sliced pork hock, deep fried pork hock and vegetable omelette.

Halfway through the meal I mentioned to G that I felt like I was in a drug-induced coma where nothing existed but meat sizzling on our table with in-built BBQ.

Finally, a jug of cheery so-ju was inexplicably ordered. It tasted of poisonous medicine and was clearly alcoholic. I liked it.

Most worth mentioning were the incredibly busy, helpful and delightfully pleasant waiters and waitresses. One in particular caught G's fancy....she was pretty and charming!



2 comments:

G said...

I've never barbecued in a suit while sitting down before but tonight all my dreams came true. Lots of meats, some vegetables, a surprising amount of so-ju and the appropriate amount of assistance from a pretty and charming waitress.

I've spent some time in Korea (4 days to be exact) and this experience was very authentic - except that this time I didn't have to sit on the floor and the beers were smaller.

Anonymous said...

I feel like a beer.