Wednesday 3 July 2013

Steak With Red Wine Sauce (by G)

As we've had leftover goat's cheese and thyme for some time I've been waiting all week to make some toast topped with mushroom duxelle and cheese... the steak and red wine sauce and other sides are incidental.

The duxelle was made with minced mushrooms fried off in butter with fine chopped eshallot, thyme, salt and pepper until all the moisture has been boiled off. Then it's onto a bit of toasted ciabatta, topped with cheese and grilled 'til warm.

For the record the weird looking sauce below was lovingly created by frying off more mushroom and eshallot in butter. Flour was added and cooked until un-raw - then a glug of wine. When the sauce thickened a little I mounted it (with butter you dirty perves).

When I tasted the sauce I decided it was bland so I added some vegetable stock... then it tasted like vegetable stock.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

I was excited to see the mushrooms on toast. G has made it before and it was splendid.

I was also excited to see the greens what with being sick and all I thought they'd help.

I too thought the sauce was weird looking but it tasted good.

Steak....cooked exactly to my liking. Steak nights are good nights.