Thursday 18 July 2013

Chicken Rice and Conversation (by G)

For my first dinner in Singapore I decided on the famous chicken rice and decided to get it from the Maxwell food center near China Town.

While I was looking for the chicken rice I found a place that did meat skewers and had a (sensible) minimum purchase of 10. So I got 5 chicken and 5 pork skewers and some chicken rice.  When I'd walked into the food center the beer store guy had advised me it was too hot to eat inside so I should come back out to the entrance and have a beer once I got my food.

This seemed like a sensible suggestion so I complied.  There were no free tables so he seated me with a friend of his - Johnny.  Johnny was a forthright individual who correctly surmised that I had got the chicken rice because I was a tourist, then asked me if I'd paid GST on the chicken rice.  After some spirited debate we decided that I had paid GST on the chicken rice and, as I'd paid $S3 I had been ripped off.  He then went off on a tirade about how expensive it was to eat in Singapore to which I (incorrectly) replied that it was a lot cheaper than Australia. He countered by stating that most Singaporians cook at home because they can not afford to eat out to which I stated that that is mostly what I do at home as well.

When the conversation turned to where I was staying I was ready for him and blatantly lied about how much I'd paid for my hotel room. This was not the correct course of action because it sparked off an inquisition about the size of the room, it's location, how big the bed was, whether it was airconditioned etc...  bystanders were invited to submit their questions and speculations as well.

For the record the chicken rice was good - even better when eaten in good company.


No comments: