Sunday 6 April 2014

Hainanese Chicken Rice (by G)

This is not the first time chicken rice has been on the blog - I had it when I was last in Singapore. I've had a chicken in the freezer for about a month with not much idea of what to do with it - finally I decided to share the joy of chicken rice (mostly because I saw it on Food Safari recently).

I won't go into detail about how I made dinner, I pretty much just followed the recipe on the SBS web-site.

I was pretty disappointed with the end result - the sauces weren't quite right and I tried the absorption method to cook the rice which meant (as is usual when I use that method) that the rice was not cooked through. The chicken was cooked pretty perfectly - but I didn't manage to get much flavour into it.

I don't blame the recipe - I don't know what to blame. I just find it a bit galling that you can get a much better version just 6155 kilometres away, for a couple of dollars.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I liked the chicken quite a bit and thought the cucumber was a nice touch.

I boldly (a little too boldly) mixed all my chili and ginger through my rice.

G has much to learn about the benefits of microwave rice.