Monday 14 April 2014

Spinach and Mushroom Cannelloni (by G)

I'm trying to clear out the freezer, which meant using up the last of the bolognaise sauce I made and froze some weeks ago.

Rather than just mix it through some cooked pasta I wanted to do something a bit more interesting - I went with cannelloni. The plan was to do a Spinach and Ricotta cannelloni filling (classic) and smother it in bolognaise sauce before baking (genius). The bolognaise was my idea for adding flavour to what is, essentially, a flavourless combination.  My other plan was to mix mushroom duxellle laced with garlic and thyme through the ricotta and spinach mix to add even more flavour.

The mushroom plan didn't work out too well, the filling was still quite bland but the whole combination was pretty edible.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I personally liked the mushroom addition and the genius of doing two styles of cannelloni in one - both meat and vegetarian. I also liked that were had pasta which we really don't have too often.