Saturday 12 April 2014

Rosemary and Garlic Salt Roasted Lamb Shanks (by G)

I've done a lot of things with lamb shanks in the past so I was looking for something new to do. I've wanted to salt crust something for a while and lamb shanks seemed like the perfect thing for that.  After looking around the dark web (no, wait - just the regular web) I found a recipe on BBC food by Tom Kerridge for lamb shanks roasted in salt dough so I did that. Basically I smothered the shanks in minced garlic and wrapped them in a dough made from flour, salt, rosemary, egg white and a little water - then popped them into a low oven for 4 1/2 hours, then rested them for half an hour before serving.

I basically stuck to BBC Tom's recipe with pickled cabbage and an onion salad (with rocket instead of nasturtium) - I think tom has a bit of a thing for onion because the salad consisted of regular onion, red onion, spring onion and garlic chives (they are a bit onion-y). There was chilli in there as well - that must have been a misprint.  I did stray from Tom's mustard mayo recipe in that I didn't add any sugar - that would be very, very weird. I'm glad I didn't add sugar because the pickled cabbage was already quite sweet. My only addition to the meal was boiled potato...

The lamb came out salty and quite flavourful - I liked it, but it was quite rich - you wouldn't want to eat too much (though Biggs did disappear to The Gap some hours ago and has not yet returned and I will probably put her portion down as well if she doesn't turn up).

No comments: