Sunday 27 April 2014

Steak, Stewed Daikon and Pickled Vegetables (by G)

This is the meal I had planned for Saturday night but did not achieve due to an unexpected period of unconsciousness.

My idea was to create a Japanese inspired plate of elegance - it nearly worked out.

I marinated some steak in a mix of miso paste, sake, soy sauce and garlic - then fried it and cooled it before slicing it and topping with grated daikon radish.

To make the pickles I steeped thin sliced carrot, radish and cucumber in a pickling mixture of dried chilli flakes, rice wine vinegar, sake and sugar. The enoki mushrooms were pickled in a different, but similar, mixture of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sake, sugar and soy sauce.

In order to add some more volume to dinner I stewed a daikon chunk in a broth of dashi (from a packet), soy and sake - then cooled the daikon.

Because rice seemed necessary I cooked some of that, I thought it may be a bit bland so I drenched it in ketjap manis and topped it with strips of nori.  The nori also served to distract from the fact that my plate had a pair of rice-y breasts on it.

Dinner was not difficult to make, it just took quite a lot of time. It was alright - the pickles were excellent.

No comments: