Tuesday 1 April 2014

Margherita Pizza (by Biggs)

Tonight, perhaps in an attempt to avoid making tortillas, I demanded that Fi invite me over for dinner. Being the lovely obliging friend that she is, and despite the fact her kitchen is currently ripped out (in its entirety) for renovations, she invited me over for dinner. When I asked if I could bring anything she asked me to bring one cup of plain flour which got my mind racing about what would be for dinner.....'I wonder if you can cook pizza on a BBQ' I messaged her. It turns out you can cook (fabulous!) pizza on a BBQ.

Fi and Dan have been making great use of a $10 second-hand eBay bread maker for the past several months but it recently gave it's last knead before the ball-bearings disintegrated into a dough mix and they had to upgrade to a $50 second-hand eBay bread maker that mixed tonight's pizza dough to perfection.

After snacks of olives, white Castello cheese and some sourdough bread Fi topped the pizza dough with a simple concoction of tomatoes, basil (fresh from the garden), artichokes and cheese and popped the pizza in the BBQ for 20 minutes or so of us hovering around it speculating if 'just a few minutes more' was a good plan or not. It was a good plan. Dinner was delicious.

Dan was out of town for work which means I was honoured with the use of his childhood painted laminated plastic plate. His featured some finely sketched aliens in a colourful space scene.....or is it martians if they have antenna? Either way, super cool and made the pizza taste even more swell.

A few glasses of crisp white wine, a debrief about the frustrations of life and in bed by midnight full of doughy goodness.

No comments: